Tuesday, August 11, 2009

MY ShirtFight.com submission- "Hothead" Process

Hello,
I have always liked ShirtFight.com. For those that do not know what it is, it is a weekly t-shirt design contest. I posted general rules on how to win a t-shirt contest that was written by the owner of the shirtfight.com, El Presidente a couple weeks ago. I've been meanin
g to do this for a while, but I figured I should submit a design for this week. It may be a little late, but hey I can always win, plus I'd like to be featured on their blog as one of the top 10 heavyweights. If I would like to be in that category, because I'll have more people viewing my portfolio,which could lead to more design jobs. You have to look at the bigger scheme of things. It's not just a competition where you're competing for cash and prints of your design, but exposure where you can land jobs. 
        This week's theme was fire, so I wanted to create something good. I had a couple ideas, but I figured why not name a design "hothead". I thought it would be great to have an old colonial type skull on fire. Here's my process from sketching, to doing the linework, to the coloring, and the final design. I knew that I wanted to keep my colors to a minimum, so I would be using a lot of halftones for lighter shades of the colors I chosen for my palette. 
       If you wish to vote for this design, so it can be printed you can go here http://www.shirtfight.com/vote/entry/hothead/   It's free to sign up and vote. They have some cool shirts for sale. They're now going to do bi-weekly themes instead of every week, which gives a designer a lot more time to work on it. I hope you enjoyed this post.
            -Joe

My Sketch being inked
I'm beginning to lay down my colors.
This is more of a complete illustration, but there are still more details I want to add.
Here you can see the background color I wanted and how it to be used for the shirt.
This is the final design and you can see the boxes above which show how many colors I've used. I wanted a burn feel so I added some grunge effects. Next thing to do is mock it up on the shirt and submit it.



No comments:

Post a Comment